Makes 2 large or 3 to 4 small portions Ingredients FOR THE SCRAMBLE: 1 tbsp olive oil, 1.5 red onion, finely sliced, 2 to 3 canned roast peppers (250 g), chopped, ½ red chilli or jalapeño (more if you like it hot), finely sliced, 1 large clove of garlic (for a milder flavour remove the germ from the centre), crushed or chopped, 1 pack of De Hobbit tofu, 250 g (or De Hobbit hempfu), ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp smoked paprika powder (essential, but replace with 1 tsp mild paprika powder if necessary), black pepper, good pinch of salt or 1 tsp soy sauce, 100 ml hot water, 240 g canned kidney beans (weight when drained) FOR THE TOMATO SALSA: 150 g cherry tomatoes, quartered, juice of ½ lime, ½ red onion, finely sliced, ½ tbsp olive oil, 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped, black pepper and sea salt, FOR THE GUACAMOLE: 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and stoned, juice of ¼ lime, or more to taste, pepper and sea salt, 1 small clove of garlic, crushed (optional), FOR THE DRESSING: 100 ml unsweetened plant-based yoghurt or sour cream, 4 handfuls of tortilla chips or baked flatbread, a few coriander leaves
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Fry the red onion for 3 minutes or so until it begins to brown.
- Add the garlic. Fry the onion and garlic a little longer before adding the paprika and chilli pepper. Then fry together for another 2 minutes or so.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and fry for a minute. - In the meantime, mix the herbs with a little water in a small bowl.
- Pour the herb mixture over the tofu and mix well.
- Rinse the kidney beans and add them to the pan. Cover with the lid and leave to simmer until you have finished preparing the salsa and the guacamole.
- For the tomato salsa, mix the tomatoes in a bowl with the lime juice, the red onion, the olive oil and the coriander. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Pour off the excessive juice before serving.
- For the guacamole, mash the avocado in a second bowl and mix in the lime juice, pepper and salt. Mix the garlic in too, if you like raw garlic.
- Taste the tofu scramble and season as required. Remove the pan from the heat and spread the guacamole, tomato salsa and tortilla chips over the pan. Drizzle with yoghurt and decorate with a few coriander leaves.
• For this dish I like to use canned or jarred roast peppers. They shorten the cooking time, add depth of flavour and are more palatable with the skin removed. If you can't find them in your supermarket use fresh peppers.
• What if you don't want chips? Cut a tortilla wrap into triangles and rub them with olive oil. Bake in the oven until crisp and golden brown.
Recipe: FoodLove, Stefanie Baert uit het kookboek Ready, Set, Go!